IRSE Exam Forum
10/11th May Mod2/3 Exam DERBY - Printable Version

+- IRSE Exam Forum (https://irseexam.co.uk)
+-- Forum: SUPPORT- Study Groups, general (https://irseexam.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=47)
+--- Forum: YM IRSE Exam related events (https://irseexam.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=149)
+---- Forum: 2014 (https://irseexam.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=180)
+---- Thread: 10/11th May Mod2/3 Exam DERBY (/showthread.php?tid=1652)

10/11th May Mod2/3 Exam DERBY - PJW - 07-02-2014

At the YM AGM yesterday, the date of the Module 2/3 study weekend held at Signet Derby was confirmed.
It has been deliberately decided to hold this earlier in the year than has traditionally been the case and to publicise well in advance in order both to encourage good attendance and prior preparation.

The 2013 exam paper appears to have presented candidates with particular problems- the feedback at the exam review was that there was at least one good answer to every question but the average answer received to almost every one of the written qestions (i.e. non Control Table, non aspect sequence) was a FAIL, with the best average being a NEAR MISS- clearly the vast majority of answer papers fell far short of what was required. There did not seem to be particular questions which caught people out.

Perhaps the precise topics of some of the questions tended to probe areas where many candidates had limited experience, but a lot of the problem seems to be that many either didn't really know how to set about answering the style of question or had too limited an experience of railway signalling to draw upon to be able to recognise what was needed and come up with some relevant information.

The usual plea: READ the question, answer EXACTLY what was asked rather than giving general information about the vague topic area and make sure you get plenty of PRACTICE.

Details of the event are still to be worked out, but the above is likely to be a main focus.

Last year the event was held much closer to the exam date and, had quite low attendance (probably down to a clash of dates and relatively short notice via IRSE News) and very few of those attending offered attempts prior or opted for the sessions discussing such questions. I haven't looked back at the records carefully, but there does seem to be a correlation between those who did and those from the UK who passed / got the one Credit.

RE: 10/11th May Mod2/3 Exam DERBY - PJW - 09-03-2014

Here is a copy of the flyer for the event, which should also be included with the next copy of IRSE News for those deemed to be YM in the UK- but since inevitably misses some of those who may be interested is also being emailed to the YM email list and placed here.

To be clear-
1. There is no age limit
2. There is no requirement already to be a member of IRSE (although if you haven't yet submitted an application and want to sit the exam in Oct 2014 then ACT FAST. Technically you have already missed the deadline, but in practice you'll probably be ok if you don't delay further)
3. The event itself is free but travel to it and accomodation is down to you (or if you can persuade them, your employer).
4. There is limited capacity and if demand outstrips this, then we'll have to be selective. Early booking (as per the form) is therefore recommended; however in the final analysis we are aiming to help those who make an effort themselves, so sending in your attempted answers is even more persuasive (even if they are actually not that good).

(07-02-2014, 06:40 AM)PJW Wrote: At the YM AGM yesterday, the date of the Module 2/3 study weekend held at Signet Derby was confirmed.
It has been deliberately decided to hold this earlier in the year than has traditionally been the case and to publicise well in advance in order both to encourage good attendance and prior preparation.............

Last year the event was held much closer to the exam date and, had quite low attendance (probably down to a clash of dates and relatively short notice via IRSE News) and very few of those attending offered attempts prior or opted for the sessions discussing such questions. I haven't looked back at the records carefully, but there does seem to be a correlation between those who did and those from the UK who passed / got the one Credit.

RE: 10/11th May Mod2/3 Exam DERBY - dorothy.pipet - 10-03-2014

Done!

Which year's papers will be used for attempted answers? 2013 perhaps?

RE: 10/11th May Mod2/3 Exam DERBY - PJW - 10-03-2014

Yes, the intention is that people do have an attempt at one or more of the mod 2/3/5 papers of 2013. We appreciate that it is a fair time to the exam but practice makes perfect. Even those not intending to take paper in 2014 should do their best- it may not be good but at least by trying it gives us an idea of the level of initial knowledge and experience and helps the individual get started on their studying with a clear objective in mind.

We'll see what interests people declare when they register and of course what efforts they submit in order to arrange a programme that offers the best fit we can for the majority.

(10-03-2014, 07:43 AM)dorothy.pipet Wrote: Done!

Which year's papers will be used for attempted answers? 2013 perhaps?

RE: 10/11th May Mod2/3 Exam DERBY - dorothy.pipet - 04-05-2014

I am trying to plan my travel to Derby from Loughborough. On the Sunday morning the earliest train doesn't arrive in Derby until after 11. There is a bus as an alternative but with the roadworks in Loughborough and London Road Bridge in Derby it might be unreliable.
So to my question: Is there anyone going to the Sunday of the Study weekend who will be travelling from or past Loughborough and willing to give a lift?

RE: 10/11th May Mod2/3 Exam DERBY - PJW - 05-05-2014

(04-05-2014, 09:08 PM)dorothy.pipet Wrote: I am trying to plan my travel to Derby from Loughborough. On the Sunday morning the earliest train doesn't arrive in Derby until after 11. There is a bus as an alternative but with the roadworks in Loughborough and London Road Bridge in Derby it might be unreliable.
So to my question: Is there anyone going to the Sunday of the Study weekend who will be travelling from or past Loughborough and willing to give a lift?

I attach the currently proposed timetable from which participant can "mix-and-match" to make their own selection. A bit like 1960s TV; there are 2 main channels and a third with a part schedule; there is no "+1" neither is there any means of recording one of the alternatives whilst watching a particular programme.
However it is not completely "set in stone" and potentially we can juggle it within constraints according to people's wishes. It was originally devised to be the best match to my interpretation of what respondents said they wanted, but prior to the receipt of any attempted answers and indeed the last flurry of applications, so I do intend to have another look at it this week. At the commencement of Saturday I'll be asking what people would intend to choose and also take this into account in any on-the-hoof replanning.
One option to suit you may be to swap my morning and afternoon sessions on Sunday (and also swap Reuben's so that there can still be a full day of "written questions" for those who wish that selection).

See attached

RE: 10/11th May Mod2/3 Exam DERBY - dorothy.pipet - 05-05-2014

Looks like a good timetable to me. Swapping would indeed solve my train travel issue, but as I say I have the bus option so it's not impossible. It may be that it would inconvenience others.
I intend to ask around on Saturday and take it from there.