Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ambition
It has become traditional that there is a mod1&7 Study Day sometime in the Spring and a mod 2/3/5 weekend in early Summer; subject to companies being prepared to sponsor we'd expect to do similarly for 2016.  Have felt for sometime that there ought to be something for mod 4&6 and it may be that 2016 could be the year that this is achieved.
Any offers to help in any way with any of these would be appreciated!

It seems very likely that the exam results will not be published much earlier than 2015 and this has implications on when the YM AGM and Exam Review can occur - whereas this has traditionally been the "kick start" for the new exam year, this can no longer realistically be the case; as so often in signalling, the end date of the "commissioning" does not change even if "contracts awarded" slips!  Hence suggest that New Year Resolutions are used as the trigger for individual's planning..............
PJW
PJW,

Is there a feel for the level of support from candidates and supporters for a M4/6 day?

J
Le coureur
(23-11-2015, 09:09 AM)Jerry1237 Wrote: PJW,

Is there a feel for the level of support from candidates and supporters for a M4/6 day?

J

First thing to say is that the idea did not come from me but I am happy to support and promote it.
Indeed it is a "toe in the water".  It could well be a low key event, but yes I do think that we will be able to muster enough of a team to deliver a useful day- I guess more focused on mod6 rather than the generally non-rail specific Principles of mod 4.

The more pertinent question is whether the candidate demand will there be? 
However as signalling is now increasing dependent upon radio, networks and IP addressing, then actually there probably ought to be a demand for a "Telecoms for Dummies (= traditional Signal Engineer)" type event even disregarding IRSE exam module preparation.  Just as we have attempted to cope with a range of expertise and interest at the Signet events in previous years, I think we may be able to offer something that addresses both needs.  Time will tell.
PJW
(23-11-2015, 01:18 PM)PJW Wrote:
(23-11-2015, 09:09 AM)Jerry1237 Wrote: PJW,

J

First thing to say is that the idea did not come from me but I am happy to support and promote it.
Indeed it is a "toe in the water".  It could well be a low key event, but yes I do think that we will be able to muster enough of a team to deliver a useful day- I guess more focused on mod6 rather than the generally non-rail specific Principles of mod 4.

The more pertinent question is whether the candidate demand will there be? 
However as signalling is now increasing dependent upon radio, networks and IP addressing, then actually there probably ought to be a demand for a "Telecoms for Dummies (= traditional Signal Engineer)" type event even disregarding IRSE exam module preparation.  Just as we have attempted to cope with a range of expertise and interest at the Signet events in previous years, I think we may be able to offer something that addresses both needs.  Time will tell.

No actual dates yet, but things currently looking favourable for a schedule which might look like
April- Exam Review, London
May- Mod 4/6, Manchester
June- Mod 1/7, Birmingham
July- Mod2/3/5, Derby

It'd of course be better if the Exam Review could be earlier, but this has to reflect the increased numbers of papers which are currently with the examiners. 
Can't help thinking that if the 50% of papers which turn out not to be good enough to pass were never sat in the first place, then we could get back to getting results out by Christmas and holding the Exam Review in late January, which might then encourage an earlier start for the next year and hopefully better results..........
PJW