Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CT 2015
Hi,

I have attached my attempt to 2015 CT. Can anyone please provide there valuable comments/suggestions.

Thanks & Regards

Attached Files
.pdf   103A(M).pdf (Size: 102.95 KB / Downloads: 34)
.pdf   121.pdf (Size: 46.25 KB / Downloads: 32)
.pdf   145B(S).pdf (Size: 90.89 KB / Downloads: 19)
.pdf   Exam 2015 Layout 3.pdf (Size: 112.09 KB / Downloads: 19)
(09-05-2016, 03:13 PM)amitkumarsrivastava Wrote: Hi,

I have attached my attempt to 2015 CT. Can anyone please provide there valuable comments/suggestions.

Thanks & Regards

I think that the first things that an examiner would say are:
1. Read the question paper and follow its instructions
2. Take note of what feedback there is from past exam reviews and feedback on other people's attempts of earlier year's Control Tables.

Before we come the specific niceties of this particular layout, you need to pay attention to the basics:
a) You did not quote the railway whose practices you are attempting to implement,
b) You used a Control Table blank which really isn't the best for IRSE Exam purposes
c) You didn't define $ notes that you used
d) You didn't give sensible estimates for time values but just quoted "t".

Hence my overall impression is that you have not successfully taken on board all the information and generic advice that is out there and therefore I do wonder quite how valuable a use of my time it is to comment on your efforts in detail, seeing as so much of it just repeats what has been recorded many times before.  Therefore I have compromised and commented on two of your three attempts.

I am sympathetic when people have difficulty in understanding what is meant, so if you don't understand then please raise your doubt and we can discuss further to clarify, but I am struggling to grasp what there is about items a)-d) above that presents difficulty.  Hence just looks that you have made these attempts at Control Tables without taking the effort to read the existing guidance from various sources, so that makes me rather less inclined to devote my time to repeating it just for your benefit.  Mistakes and misunderstandings pertinent to a specific layout or control are fair enough, but just drawing attention to clear instructions on the question paper is a waste of my time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

103A(M)

Opposing route locking:

1. Whereas you included 156A, you missed out the other two routes to the LOS 152A and 154B which should have imposed indirect route locking.

2.You showed the route locking from 164B on BM being released after a timed occupation of BM; this is wrong for a couple of reasons.  Firstly as drawn it does not achieve anything because the route locking that would still exist due to BL isn’t conditioned out since not included within the brackets.  Secondly given that 103A(M) is a main route, then wouldn’t want it to set whilst there was an opposite direction move in any part of the platform, no matter how long it had been there.  If you had been doing the CT for 103A© then the locking should have timed out, but it should have been both that on BL and that on BM when a timer (for which an estimate for the time should have been given- say 40 sec) after either BL or BM been occupied.

3. There was no reference to 105A(S) within either the “routes Normal” column, nor as needing to be pre-set by 103A(M) in the remarks column and then later in the table105 required to be proved off at aspect level.   

4. You didn’t call 113 reverse which might have been a good idea.  However even if you decided not to do so, then you definitely should have proved (CJ or 113R) because that track is FOUL.

Approach Release:
5. You required EC occupied; why?  This is the primary route from signal 103.

6. CT boxes of no relevance to IRSE exam: Route bar, aspect disable, AWS and TPWS boxes take up space, cost you time yet are not going to add much if anything to your score; omit them.  What is worse some actually had incorrect information within them so would only be losing you marks.  This is not a sensible route to work Auto and it would have both electro and permanent AWS and would be fitted with TPWS which would be indicated, so it just gives the examiner the impression that the candidate does not know what they are about.  If you wanted to mention TPWS then would have been better to have done so by a suitable note relating to the signal ahead at red in the aspect sequence.

Approach locking
7. Despite you having declared the route approach released, you seem to have attempted to give it Comprehensive Approach Locking which is a waste of time as incompatible.  Also the tracks listed are those approaching the exit signal 157 (which incidentally you failed to specify in the box you should have done for the aspect sequence up to it!) rather than those approaching 103, so the best I can say is that you are evidently confused.

8. The same description seems to apply to the A/L release and the TORR.  There are variations of what is possible but to me the expression you put in the TISP release of A/L looks what you should have written for the TORR and almost vice versa.  I say almost because in the TISP the general form is track A clear, track B occupied after both tracks A and B occupied.

9. You gave no indicative time value for the A/L release timer; it wouldn’t have mattered if you had put 120 or 180s, but the question papers are very clear- DON’T JUST PUT t !  So as the examiners so often say “READ THE QUESTION”

145B(S)

Route level.  
1. You seem to have treated this as a call-on rather than a shunt.  Firstly there is the reference to “separate exit device” and secondly there is the requirement at route level (although inconsistently not also specified in the aspect level) for occupation of CG, but one of the uses for the route could be to put rolling stock into an empty platform.

Aspect level
2. You have used a $10 reference without defining it; again the examiners make very clear year after year that you must not quote $ references without defining.

3. Further evidence that you don’t know the significance for controls of this being a shunt route- you demand the signal ahead alight at red and have not specified any $40 last wheel replacement conditions by conditioning the tracks clear (CL CK)$40 and repeating the stick track conditions within the relevant box.

4. A shunt signal would generally be given Comprehensive Approach Locking since it is just the berth track (CM) and therefore simple to provide.  It is certainly reasonable not to give TORR; I am not sure which pair of tracks you intended to use for A/L release but you seem to have completely ignored the existence of CK so what you have written must be wrong (and similar comment to the form of expression and the lack of a specified time apply as in 103A(M)).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overall you seem to have some idea of completion of NR style Control Tables but I am not convinced that you have enough understanding of the difference between the various classes of routes and I also get the impression that you are basically putting contents into the various boxes without really having a deeper understanding of what the entries actually mean.  My guess therefore is that you attended an IST course some time ago, did well in the end of course assessment and re now thinking that this is an area that you should find reasonably easy in the IRSE Exam but have launched into this cold without doing enough prep.  Also I suspect that some of that learning was only skin deep and therefore some confusion has set in.

My advice would be that you need

1. To revise your course and do ensure you really think what it all means rather than just what you have to do to get an entry completed
  2. Read the Question papers, Exam Review Notes and items posted on this Forum
  3.  Make some attempts at past papers that are already on the Forum so that you can compare your answers with those which have already been commented upon and try to learn from them.  Where this reveals discrepancies that you can’t comprehend then please raise your doubts and we can discuss.
  4. If in the UK, book for the Signet weekend on 2/3rd July
PJW