Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Module 2 , 2016 paper attempt
Hi All,

I attempted the question 1-a of 2016 paper.It asked the minimum braking distance for passenger and freight train.Now passenger train and freight train runs at speed of 120Km/h with acceleration/de-acceleration of 0.8 m/s and 100 Km/Hr with ace./de-ace. rate of 0.5m/s.

After calculation they give me braking distance as follows:- passenger rains 695 meters and freight train 773 meters.

Do I need to consider 773 meter as D(distance between consecutive stop signal for my answer to question 1.b??

Regards
Abhishek
(22-01-2017, 11:35 PM)Abhishek.Vidyarthi2@amey.co.uk Wrote: Hi All,

I attempted the question 1-a of 2016 paper.It asked the minimum braking distance for passenger and freight train.Now passenger train and freight train runs at speed of 120Km/h with acceleration/de-acceleration of 0.8 m/s and 100 Km/Hr with ace./de-ace. rate of 0.5m/s.

After calculation they give me braking distance as follows:- passenger rains 695 meters and freight train 773 meters.

Do I need to consider 773 meter as D(distance between consecutive stop signal for my answer to question 1.b??

Regards
Abhishek
I haven't checked your maths, but yes you must ensure that a driver of any train gets enough distance to brake from the highest speed that they are authorised to travel.  What is your doubt?
PJW
Hi PJW,

I struck with a thinking that the second question asked for passenger trains and using the 773 metes(braking distance for freight trains) is the correct way to go ahead or not?

but as you say, I guess we need to take care of all trains either freight/passenger trains running on that line and choose the braking distance suitable for trains at all speeds.

I will upload a calculation later today.

Regards
Avi
(23-01-2017, 05:30 AM)PJW Wrote:

Regards
Abhishek
I haven't checked your maths, but yes you must ensure that a driver of any train gets enough distance to brake from the highest speed that they are authorised to travel.  What is your doubt?

Hi,

I just added my calculations find the attached and kindly make your comments.

.pdf   2016 mod 2 attempt 1.pdf (Size: 313.77 KB / Downloads: 80)
Avi
(23-01-2017, 01:30 PM)Abhishek.Vidyarthi2@amey.co.uk Wrote:
(23-01-2017, 05:30 AM)PJW Wrote:

Regards
Abhishek

Hi,

I just added my calculations find the attached and kindly make your comments.

Avi

Currently I have a lot to do on many fronts, so whereas I'll eventually get around to it doubt whether it'll be in next week- hopefully someone else will step in!
PJW
With braking distance, it is always the greater. Signalling solutions are usually a compromise, safety isn't.
Le coureur
thank you each one of you for all your useful information, i really benefitted from all of this! i was just wondering if there's still anyone here as i can see that these are some old threads and i was wondering if someone could help with some of my questions?
(26-01-2018, 06:33 PM)Upostentae Wrote: thank you each one of you for all your useful information, i really benefitted from all of this! i was just wondering if there's still anyone here as i can see that these are some old threads and i was wondering if someone could help with some of my questions?

There are people here to respond, however, the forum has generally been very quiet recently. If anything it comes most alive in September.
Upostentae, ask any questions you might have.
Le coureur