Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attachment Uploads
We have had separate reports from users who are unable to upload attachments. This video shows that the user is following the correct process but the attachment does not appear and another user has described the same issue.

At the moment we do not know why this is happening to some users, and indeed, in testing for the two cases given above, when we have logged in as the user form elsewhere, it is possible to upload attachments. It does not appear to be related to the type or size of the attachments (all are within the right limits) nor the settings for the user's account. All of that is of no help to someone who cannot upload stuff. We are trying some more testing to narrow down what conditions on the user's computer means that it does not work for them.

If you have the same problem, can you please give us information about where you were doing it, how you were connected and what type of computer / browser you were using.

Thanks

Peter
OK. I have found out a few more things about how this stuff works - we have been going for nearly 10 years now so you would hope that we knew how it all worked, but keep hoping!

Anyway, out hosts (eukhost.com) have helped me to change some settings which we think were related to the problem and you should be able to add attachments and if there is a problem, at least get an error message to give ypu a clue anout what has gone wring (not just leave you with no info).

Please let us know if there are any problems or if the config of the forum does not work for you.

Peter
(29-09-2017, 08:28 AM)admin Wrote: OK. I have found out a few more things about how this stuff works - we have been going for nearly 10 years now so you would hope that we knew how it all worked, but keep hoping!

Anyway, out hosts (eukhost.com) have helped me to change some settings which we think were related to the problem and you should be able to add attachments and if there is a problem, at least get an error message to give ypu a clue anout what has gone wring (not just leave you with no info).

Please let us know if there are any problems or if the config of the forum does not work for you.

Peter

It does seem that there are quite a few attachments that used to be present but have since disappeared; I have been told that there are actually a significant number of links that no longer work.  Perhaps in the quiet time between October and January I might find time to experiment to get a definitive list, and then it will be a question of trying to see if we have copies of what has been lost.  However it does strike me that may be there is some more technical way of discovering a list of all the attachments that are held electronically and then working back the other way to see if some of them are just sitting their as orphans.....
PJW
(02-10-2017, 12:16 PM)PJW Wrote:
(29-09-2017, 08:28 AM)admin Wrote: OK. I have found out a few more things about how this stuff works - we have been going for nearly 10 years now so you would hope that we knew how it all worked, but keep hoping!

Peter

It does seem that there are quite a few attachments that used to be present but have since disappeared; I have been told that there are actually a significant number of links that no longer work.  Perhaps in the quiet time between October and January I might find time to experiment to get a definitive list, and then it will be a question of trying to see if we have copies of what has been lost.  However it does strike me that may be there is some more technical way of discovering a list of all the attachments that are held electronically and then working back the other way to see if some of them are just sitting their as orphans.....

I have the suspicion that it is those saved in Word 2003-7 format which have gone missing; where I can find a copy (and sometimes I may never have had one and in other cases I may just be unable to locate) I am going to save as a pdf copy and add this to the original posts but this is going to be quite a time consuming job and I am certainly not going to bother for anything that is now "past its sell by date".
PJW
Morning,

I'm trying to upload a variety of pdf files at the moment (including a layout attempt and calculations), and keep having the same error message shown below.

Please correct the following errors before continuing:
  • The file upload failed. Please choose a valid file and try again. Error details: There was a problem moving the uploaded file to its destination.
You are right - I'll see if I can work out what is going on....
Has this sorted it?

.docx   Test.docx (Size: 12.22 KB / Downloads: 2)
.pdf   Attachment Uploads.pdf (Size: 178.07 KB / Downloads: 2)
Right, I think that it will work now. It would appear that the maintenance work that the hosting provider was doing today that "should have no effect on the websites" did, in fact, have an effect on the website.

Thanks for pointing it out and hope you get on OK with attaching your files now.

Peter
(06-09-2018, 10:40 AM)Peter Wrote: Right, I think that it will work now. It would appear that the maintenance work that the hosting provider was doing today that "should have no effect on the websites" did, in fact, have an effect on the website.

Thanks for pointing it out and hope you get on OK with attaching your files now.

Peter

Thanks Peter that has done the trick.
Test

Attached Files
.pdf   Test.pdf (Size: 55.06 KB / Downloads: 5)