Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Info for IRSE Exam newcomers
Question 
Someone contemplating a journey from A to B would probably:
a) know something about the destination- (where it was, what it was like, intended arrival time, why they desired to get there etc.),
b) make sure that they were aware of the various options, ensure that any applicable constraints were taken into account and have what resources they needed to undertake the journey,
c) be sure where they were actually starting from.

Similarly for a railway project it is important to have:
a) a specification of what is required to be achieved,
b) understanding of the factors that constrain how it could be implemented, and
c) the knowledge of the existing status of the infrastructure etc.

It should be no different for you deciding to sit the IRSE Exam; you should:
a) make sure you are clear about the role of the exam, 
b) understand the scope of the syllabus and what is expected of you in the exam,
c) evaluate your existing level of knowledge of various topics,
d) determine how much time you can commit to study and what other constraints apply,
e) decide which module(s) are best for you to start with.

In order to help you do this, I have placed a couple of separate documents to download in the post below.

Attached Files
.doc   IRSE Exam.doc (Size: 53 KB / Downloads: 420)
.doc   IRSE Exam student status.doc (Size: 163 KB / Downloads: 372)
Decided that it was about time to ensure this information was brought up to date with the passage of time; hence I am posting here slightly revised documents to reflect the situation in 2015.

I have left the original versions of both documents in the above post; overall there are not huge differences, but certain specific sections have been significantly changed to reflect the changes in the exam over the intervening years.

The checklist at the end of the "student status" document was my attempt at trying to present the syllabus for all the non- Telecoms papers to present a holistic picture, but also to add some specific example detail because I have found that some students have difficulty relating what are often unfamiliar, rather abstract terms to things that they do encounter.  However of necessity this has tended to make the list rather more UK mainline specific and therefore this element may mean that it has the opposite effect for someone from a different railway environment, so if referring to it then keep this in mind- it is not intended to imply that this knowledge is essential for the exam, but to give a specific example of what it could mean.

Attached Files
.doc   IRSE Exam student status- 2015.doc (Size: 335.5 KB / Downloads: 75)
.doc   IRSE Exam- 2015 update.doc (Size: 77.5 KB / Downloads: 63)
PJW
Peter the attachments appear not to exist anymore. Is there a way I can read them. 

Thanks
(12-10-2018, 04:50 PM)steak Wrote: Peter the attachments appear not to exist anymore. Is there a way I can read them. 

Thanks

I had a flashback to the time of the last election when the Bristol lady featured on many TV news clips said on hearing that it was occur “Oh no, not another one!” 
Certainly the website lost many Word files and I never finished the task of attempting to find a copy for each one and re-instate, but these seem to be postdating the main disappearance.

It may be that I can find time to get back to this task in the long winter evenings that are coming in not too distant future as in this case I probably have somewhere, but there are many that are gone forever I am afraid.  It is I am afraid quite time consuming and not particularly rewarding task, so my enthusiasm for doing it is quite limited!
PJW
(12-10-2018, 08:11 PM)PJW Wrote:
(12-10-2018, 04:50 PM)steak Wrote: Peter the attachments appear not to exist anymore. Is there a way I can read them. 

Thanks

I had a flashback to the time of the last election when the Bristol lady featured on many TV news clips said on hearing that it was occur “Oh no, not another one!” 
Certainly the website lost many Word files and I never finished the task of attempting to find a copy for each one and re-instate, but these seem to be postdating the main disappearance.

It may be that I can find time to get back to this task in the long winter evenings that are coming in not too distant future as in this case I probably have somewhere, but there are many that are gone forever I am afraid.  It is I am afraid quite time consuming and not particularly rewarding task, so my enthusiasm for doing it is quite limited!
Fair enough I can understand that. I’ve noticed a lot of older attachments are missing. What happened?
(14-10-2018, 12:26 PM)steak Wrote: Fair enough I can understand that. I’ve noticed a lot of older attachments are missing. What happened?

Peter might be able to explain better than me.  Just let’s say a software “updrade” to the Bulletin Board system on which this website is based.  Could be associated with the incompatibility of modern Microsoft Word with some but not all of the older *.doc files as it seems only to be those that disappeared

When I found replacements to upload I have therefore tried to replace as pdfs instead
PJW
I recently switched from Microsoft to Apple, so I share your pain.....
Since we narrowed down the problem to certain attachment types, I have been doing some logging on the system and now get a report every 12 hours telling me whether there are differences between the numbers of attachments since the last report. I am pleased to report that we have not "lost" any attachments in that time and indeed, those which were lost went quite a while ago. This looks at all attachments for all time so if any old ones were to drop off now, we would see that.

I have also confirmed with the hosting provider that they do not do any "cleanup" activities which could delete files from the system.

While it does not help the past (unless the original poster still has the files to re-upload) but, based on the lack of loss so far of recent, I conclude that it must have been when we moved things a few years ago. It does not seem to be an issue with the file types as we first thought.

Peter