Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2011 Q2 Traversing points safely at speed
Attached is a file containing the combined offerings of the participants at the recent Mod1/Mod7 Exam Workshop who attempted this question.

The trap that everyone fell into was to describe points as if this had been a module 5 question. Although it is important to display technical knowledge, the focus should have been on the key elements needed to permit a train to pass through safely at speed; this is what the question asked for and indeed the focus on hazards, risk and the management of safety should certainly be "read into" every module 1 question.

Having said that the diagrams were mainly not good; that for attempt B was the best by a long way. The question asked not just for the point machine and its connections but the entire point, so the depiction of the crossing with associated wing rails and check rails was certainly essential and depiction of back-drive and supplementary detector also important for points designed for traversal at significant speed. So although there wouldn't have been many marks to gain from the sketch, the candidates did tend to show up their ignorance and there were some peculiar mechanical arrangements depicted that seemed to show lack of understanding. Although primarily produced from a Mod 5 (and lesser extent mod 3) perspective, if you are rather hazy about pointwork, suggest you study the download available at: http://db.tt/ucDqnf0c

Attached Files
.doc   2011 Mod1 Q2 A-C.doc (Size: 670 KB / Downloads: 77)
PJW
I have had a go at producing what I think the examiners were after.

I feel pretty confident that I understand what was needed for the 2nd portion; less happy about the 1st part. I couldn't have got close to writing the sort of answer I have given within 7 minutes, yet I can't see how I could have cut it and still adequately covered what seems to be needed.

I have included italicised text to explain why I chose to answered in the manner I did, in the hope that this explains the sort of techniques to use when answering any question.

(08-04-2012, 10:06 PM)PJW Wrote: Attached is a file containing the combined offerings of the participants at the recent Mod1/Mod7 Exam Workshop who attempted this question.

Attached Files
.doc   2011 Mod1 Q2 Point Risks Answer.doc (Size: 454 KB / Downloads: 66)
PJW
(14-04-2012, 07:10 PM)PJW Wrote: I have had a go at producing what I think the examiners were after.

Note that this is one of the questions considered in the official IRSE "Sample Answers"
PJW