Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yellow Book
Does anyone know where the current and complete Yellow book is available to download for free. I hear it,s useful for mod 1 study.
(05-07-2012, 06:17 PM)andyrail Wrote: Does anyone know where the current and complete Yellow book is available to download for free. I hear it,s useful for mod 1 study.

The book is no longer being updated, so whereas you can probably still get the "most recent", you should not call it "current". I imagine in time that it might become unavailable.

See this post for a link.
PJW
Thanks for the link ,I have downloaded both the yellow and orange book. Which one is the most useful in preperation for mod 1? I must admit that I had no knowledge these books existed until I saw a post where someone said the yellow book was useful in studying for mod 1.
(05-07-2012, 07:11 PM)andyrail Wrote: Thanks for the link ,I have downloaded both the yellow and orange book. Which one is the most useful in preperation for mod 1? I must admit that I had no knowledge these books existed until I saw a post where someone said the yellow book was useful in studying for mod 1.

Yellow book is the more immediately relevant, but the Orange book also has useful stuff in it. In their different ways they both cover risk management.
PJW
The notes from the Birmingham Study day would be useful as well. These explain why the Yellowbook is now no longer supported but the techniques it lists are still relevant. As the lecture said, risks and 'safety' are difficult subjects often misunderstood and misused.

For example; which of these are hazards?
1) A sharp unsheathed knife.
2) A Level Crossing compliant to all standards with exceptional sighting distance.
3) Fatigue.

Jerry
Le coureur
QUOTE The Yellow Book and this website are no longer being maintained. Yellow Book Issue 4 has the status of a withdrawn document and does not represent up-to-date guidance for the GB mainline railway. Yellow Book Issue 4 continues to be available for organisations to use if they wish, but all organisations should note that the guidance contained within it no longer aligns with the current regulatory regime that applies to the GB mainline railway system. END

from

http://www.yellowbook-rail.org.uk/

linking to

http://www.rssb.co.uk/ManagementOfEngine...fault.aspx

QUOTE What has happened to the Yellow Book? Guidance to the rail industry on the safe management of engineering change, commonly referred to as Engineering Safety Management (ESM), was provided by a handbook known as the Yellow Book. The Yellow Book was written for people involved in introducing engineering change to the railway.
When need for large-scale revision to the Yellow Book became evident in 2010, ISCC set up a sub-group to consider what guidance existed, and what guidance was needed, related to the safe management of engineering change. Acting on the recommendations of the sub-group, ISCC decided to withdraw YB4 because it no longer represented up-to-date guidance for the GB mainline railway system. YB4 has been replaced by the guidance above. END

--
Nick