Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2007 Module 2 Layout
Hi everyone,

I have done 2007 Module 2 Layout, Please review and give your corrections & suggestions please.

Regards
SST

Attached Files
.pdf   IRSE (Main Line) Layout 1 Year 2007 (Unsignalled).pdf (Size: 991.9 KB / Downloads: 111)
.pdf   Page 4 of 4.pdf (Size: 958.31 KB / Downloads: 113)
.pdf   Page 1 of 4.pdf (Size: 763.74 KB / Downloads: 135)
.pdf   Page 2 of 4.pdf (Size: 848.64 KB / Downloads: 101)
.pdf   Page 3 of 4.pdf (Size: 977.98 KB / Downloads: 97)
Only had a quick look so far, but the things that I immdiately notice-

1. No trapping protection for the line into the Branch platform from vehicles in Up siding and stabling siding

2.You are showing point machine symbols- better to cover by a general note (as you really have!) since drawing them all costs you valuable time. Also you don't actually show any for the switch diamonds, so that now looks like an omission.

3. You have only put a GPL rather than a main aspect leaving the Branch platform. Its for passenger trains. sp certainly inappropriate.

4. You have placed a LOS on the reversible Down Valley Branch that you will be needing trains to pass in order to get to signal 114. I know that some railways would permit this; UK mainline practice does not.

5. 114/116 are 4 aspect signals, yet you have shown no more signals beyond them on the 1400m of plan. Not compatible with the spacing information you gave as the last of your comments in the general notes.

6. You have not utilised the various "Not to Scale" portions at A, B, H to depict the fringe signals to this plan; the examiners provide these bits for a reasn so use them!

7.Don't see why you have given signal 103 a PL aspect

8. The CPs drawn often look too close to the convergenceto me- certainly in the vicinity of 114/116 signal, definitely within the double junction 301/302/303, also 300 crossover but in addition crossover 305 (althhough I suppose you could claimthese lines are widely spaced in reality).

9. The numbering of the double junction is incorrect as the two parts of the switch diamond are separately numbered- one paired with the singlle lead and the other one by itself.

10. 115 signal is a long way from 306 points- but the viaduct is a constraint and perhaps thre is an argument that this is the "least bad" option in that case; however there seems no rationale for signal 105 being so far from 311 as it is.

Overall though the mainline doesn't look too bad an attempt; it is the Lake Branch that which is poor and would let you down. The IRSE layout almost always includes tw distinctly different areas and the candidate needs to recognise that and provide the different form of signalling appropriate in each case

In the Down ddirection you have placed a 4 aspect signal in what looks like an odd position- perhaps you have attempted to put 113 in a parallel position to 107, but there is no sensible reason for that. It is highly unlikely that there would be any inter-visibility between the lines- certainly no risk of confusuion between them. Braking from105 would not be an issue, since that signal would be approach released, MAR.
There is no other signal for that direction except for the buffer stop (so when would 113 show any better aspect than Yellow; isn't the Yellow here very excessively overbtraked?)

In the Up direction you have put a 4 aspect signal as the platform starter, yet no other signal on the line at all, not even protecting the junction at D! In fact it is worse than that since you have provided no Up signals on the Down Main and the train has to go all the way into station C......

Showing the level crossing as an AHBC is OK as far as it goes, but there is no hint how it would operate with strike in tracks / treadles and similarly for strike out to raise the barriers again. In fact there seems to be no train detection on the branch at all beyond the overlap of 113- however no explanation how the line is to be operated safely. Candidates are always asked explicitly to define their method of working and it is for areas like this that it is particularly critical that you do.

Hence there is quite a bit to improve, but don't be disheartened as many of the basics are there; I've seen far worse attempts and things like the track joints around pointwork, the signal profiles, the general idea of the route boxes, the notes etc are all very much along the right lines and you have at least attempted to signalthe area around station C to be able to achieve the requested operational moves. Hence if only the Branch had been as good as the main lines then I think you would have got a Pass.

Please reply and tell me which of the comments above you understand and can now clearly see how to address the defect and which you need more help for.

(24-07-2013, 07:40 AM)s.sathish08 Wrote: Hi everyone,

I have done 2007 Module 2 Layout, Please review and give your corrections & suggestions please.

Regards
SST
PJW
FYI

Attached Files
.pdf   IRSE (Main Line) Layout 1 Year 2007 (Unsignalled) Version 4_paged.pdf (Size: 1.85 MB / Downloads: 34)
.pdf   2007Module2Exam_paper.pdf (Size: 11.91 KB / Downloads: 25)
.pdf   IRSE (Main Line) Layout 1 Year 2007 (Unsignalled) Version 4.pdf (Size: 1.4 MB / Downloads: 28)