Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
EBI 400 tracks
Hi there, has anybody got any links or literature/diagrams/images on EBI 400 tracks.

Many thanks in advance.
(11-01-2014, 02:58 PM)Archie Wrote: Hi there, has anybody got any links or literature/diagrams/images on EBI 400 tracks.

Many thanks in advance.

Ooohh, asking about cutting edge new stuff? Have not at the moment, but I'll ask a man who will have.
Many thanks
I have had a hunt around and it turns out that apart from the Bombardier Technical Manual, there does not appear to be anything. Unfortunately, the manual is marked Confidential and I am not therefore at liberty to post it here.

I suggest that you contact Bombardier to see whether they can supply anything:

Bombardier Transportation UK Ltd
Estover Close
Estover
Plymouth PL6 7PU
Tel : +44 1752 725000
Fax: +44 1752 725001

The names on the document are D Biss, C Mackie and A Lindsay.
There was an IRSE London paper (perhaps October 2013) that covered the topic, albeit obliquely. It was about making the tracks immune in todays traction environment etc, so it won't have application detail but relates to the Ebi tracks at London Bridge. Therefore have a hunt in IRSE News for the paper copy and you might find that the IRSE videoed it and if so would be available for viewing via the IRSE website.

(17-01-2014, 10:32 AM)Peter Wrote: I have had a hunt around and it turns out that apart from the Bombardier Technical Manual, there does not appear to be anything. Unfortunately, the manual is marked Confidential and I am not therefore at liberty to post it here.

I suggest that you contact Bombardier to see whether they can supply anything:

Bombardier Transportation UK Ltd
Estover Close
Estover
Plymouth PL6 7PU
Tel : +44 1752 725000
Fax: +44 1752 725001

The names on the document are D Biss, C Mackie and A Lindsay.
PJW
Many thanks guys
hi there, I studied IRSE news issue 147 july/august in that it had been given about EBI TRACK 200,300,400. I understood about EBI track 200 and 300. But it is difficult to understand about EBI Track 400 given in that can anyone explain about this content
"A prime development exercise related
to the size of the code word so that
wrong-side failure integrity could be
mathematically proven. The choice of a
256 bit telegram in turn dictated a bit rate
of 128 bits per second which the
communication channel would have to
support given that code recognition was
required within two seconds to stay close
to the tried and tested performance
parameters of the previous TI21 track
circuit. The 256 bit code word has meant
that by optimising the hamming distance
between code words to cover both
wrong-side and right-side failure
conditions at least 16 000 exceptionally
safe unique codes per carrier frequency
can be generated."
given in page 7 of that news letter
Thanks in advance
(02-04-2015, 06:17 AM)Hemanth.medidi Wrote: hi there, I studied IRSE news issue 147 july/august in that it had been given about EBI TRACK 200,300,400. I understood about EBI track 200 and 300. But it is difficult to understand about EBI Track 400 given in that can anyone explain about this content
"A prime development exercise related
to the size of the code word so that
wrong-side failure integrity could be
mathematically proven. The choice of a
256 bit telegram in turn dictated a bit rate
of 128 bits per second which the
communication channel would have to
support given that code recognition was
required within two seconds to stay close
to the tried and tested performance
parameters of the previous TI21 track
circuit. The 256 bit code word has meant
that by optimising the hamming distance
between code words to cover both
wrong-side and right-side failure
conditions at least 16 000 exceptionally
safe unique codes per carrier frequency
can be generated."
given in page 7 of that news letter
Thanks in advance

In essence what it means is that, in addition to the "frequency" (actually the two alternating for ac immunity) additional security is being given by including a code superimposed upon the carrier frequency. One of the problems with jointless track circuits is that there can be frequency leaking from one frequency A track circuit, perhaps via traction bonding or in London Underground case via the air main to another frequency A track circuit. In the extreme this can give rise to wrongside failure in the presence of various fault conditions.
Hence by adding a particular code to each of the freuency A track circuits then even if enough voltage is received by another track circuit in the area then it will not respond as the code wouldn't match the one it was expecting.
On the one hand the more different codes that there are the further away that two tracks can be before needing to share the same one; on the other hand the more bits of data need to be included on the track circuit. TI21s were deliberately 2 seconds slow to pick (partly a result of needing to check the alternate reception of the two separate ones of th "warble" but also advantageous to give a level of protection against rusty rails etc) but obviously if this time had to become longer then it would be more operationally restrictive and the delay would impact unduly use of the layout. Therefore this time consraint plus the baud rate limit the level of complexity of the code and thus the number of combinations available.
PJW