Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
London Study Group for 2015 exams
Hi, my name is To-Sum. The following was what I've sent to known candidates of London study group, please reply/message me if you're interested in joining study group(s) in London for the 2015 exams. I hope to gather the combination of modules which people are interested in, then set study group(s) for the majority. Hopefully, we'll gather as much like-minded professionals together as possible, to help each other to pass the exams.

Dear all,

It was a nice occasion to meet up with those who attended the IRSE Young Member annual seminar last Friday. Thanks to IRSE YM committee for organising an interesting selection of topics.

Study Groups, let’s get it rolling again!! The coming year’s exam will be on the 3rd Oct 2015*, which only leaves us 40 weeks to prepare!!! Seems far, but there’s a lot to cover and practice. Let’s get ourselves organised.

In yesteryear, there were two study groups in London, one based in LU premises and focused in Mod 3 & 5, the other based in Interfleet and focused in Mod 1 & 2. Vivich & myself co organised the LU group, and Firas was the organiser of the Interfleet group.

In the coming year, we are keen to set up study-group(s) for those who would like to take exam(s), or to share/update experience.
Study groups are not (always) boring and geeky, it is also an excellent chance for networking with like-minded professionals. The railway industry is not a very wide sector, it’s beneficial to ones career to achieve recognised qualification within this industry and to know people in this close community.

To help yourself in getting through the module(s) and the organisers to organise, please let us know of the following details. We would like to set up study-groups for modules where there’s enough registered interests. Please fill in the following to assist the organisers to set up study-group(s).

Name -
Module(s) interested -
Company working for -
Where your usual workplace is based at -

To assist your choice, the following should answer some FAQs:
WHAT:
Module 1 – Safety of Railway Signalling and Communications
Module 2 – Signalling the Layout
Module 3 – Signalling Principles
Module 4 – Communications Principles
Module 5 – Signalling & Control Equipment, Applications Engineering
Module 6 – Communications Equipment, Applications Engineering
Module 7 – Systems, Management & Engineering

WHERE: location is not decided yet, we’ll look at concentration of people interested and where facilities are available.
For study groups around the country, please visit the IRSE website: http://www.irse.org/membership/publicdoc...20July.pdf

WHEN: Usual study-group hours: 5pm-7pm after workdays (There may be follow-ups over a pint or two)

HOW: During the session, the group will schedule topics to discuss, which may be the form of group discussion or lecture by experts. Self-study hours, this may depend individually, but 2-3 hours per week as minimum. Assuming you’re working in the railway industry, there’ll be experts in your workplace to help you out. Once registered as an IRSE member, study packs are accessible via the IRSE website. Otherwise, there’s a smart ar*e called Google.

WHO: Anybody can sit the exam(s), with the following caveat. Candidates has to be registered with IRSE as Associate Member of IRSE (AMIRSE) as the minimum level of membership. Deadline for application for membership from non-member who wish to sit the 2015 exam is 28/02/2015*. Closing date for submission of applications of 2015 exam is 30/06/2015*. Membership application form can be found in: http://www.irse.org/membership/public/ap...nform.aspx

*Dates are quoted from IRSE website, it is correct when this e-mail was sent. The dates may change, please visit www.irse.org for updates.
Query: The requirement to be at least an associate member - is that new?
I am an affiliate at the moment but have done exam papers the last two years without any problem.
(18-12-2014, 05:54 PM)dorothy.pipet Wrote: Query: The requirement to be at least an associate member - is that new?
I am an affiliate at the moment but have done exam papers the last two years without any problem.

There were several grades of membership such as Student, Associate that were combined some years ago within the new term Affiliate.
Basically you need to be paying the IRSE a subscription to be eligible to sit the exam (and that has been true for as many years as I can remember) . You have used the correct term- some older documentation may not yet have caught up....

PJW
PJW