Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loc cabinets
Hi there, a friend of mine is looking into starting a loc building business, but in particular is wanting to know if possible and where in particular you can source redundant loc cabinets which have been recovered so they can be refurbed, thanks in advance.
I doubt whether there is a regular source of such. Most major resignalling schemes make many redundant but usually they are of a design of 20-40 years old and hence not just a matter of refurbishing them. I suppose the best bet would be where a project has installed some new locs for a temporary period during a form of stagework- although of of course if they are that new then that project would probably want to reuse themselves. {I am thinking of something like the Reading station work- as the remodelling progresses those locations only intalled 3 years ago for controlling the existing signalling as an enabling stage are becoming redundant).
Notte that typically the equipment recovered by a project is the property of NR not the contractor doing the work, but it can vary. It is a question of keeping ear to the ground to find where it is going to cost someone money to dispose of good stuff and seize the business opportunity.

(15-08-2013, 01:00 PM)Archie Wrote: Hi there, a friend of mine is looking into starting a loc building business, but in particular is wanting to know if possible and where in particular you can source redundant loc cabinets which have been recovered so they can be refurbed, thanks in advance.
PJW
(15-08-2013, 07:01 PM)PJW Wrote: I doubt whether there is a regular source of such. Most major resignalling schemes make many redundant but usually they are of a design of 20-40 years old and hence not just a matter of refurbishing them. I suppose the best bet would be where a project has installed some new locs for a temporary period during a form of stagework- although of of course if they are that new then that project would probably want to reuse themselves. {I am thinking of something like the Reading station work- as the remodelling progresses those locations only intalled 3 years ago for controlling the existing signalling as an enabling stage are becoming redundant).
Notte that typically the equipment recovered by a project is the property of NR not the contractor doing the work, but it can vary. It is a question of keeping ear to the ground to find where it is going to cost someone money to dispose of good stuff and seize the business opportunity.

(15-08-2013, 01:00 PM)Archie Wrote: Hi there, a friend of mine is looking into starting a loc building business, but in particular is wanting to know if possible and where in particular you can source redundant loc cabinets which have been recovered so they can be refurbed, thanks in advance.

Many thanks for the reply, I said a similar thing to my friend, think he is up against it.