Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exam Application- need for SPONSOR
If you are expecting to sit the exam in October 2016 and have not yet applied, here is a reminder that time is running out.  Whereas the deadline to register to vote in the Brexit referendum was recently extended slightly, don't expect that to happen for the IRSE Exam.

Whereas the exam application process itself is all on-line and should only take minutes that is no reason to leave until last possible time.  It is even more important this year, given the need to submit a scanned form signed by your sponsor which has to be manually processed before you proceed with the online booking.  If you attempt to do so, your booking will not be processed but you'll still be charged.  As ever, READ THE QUESTION!

The IRSE's guidance to sponsors is on their website.
The need for the completed form is clearly indicated in red and hyperlinked from the first page of the exam registration procedure, so there is no excuse for not following it.

I attach to this post a document that I was asked to produce as a "good practice" guide to be made available within Siemens to help any FIRSE or MIRSE who may be approached to support a student, but themselves not be very familiar with the exam.   Baring a couple of company references, it is generic and so I am making it available here- it is not part of any formal process and may well need to be adapted to particular situations, but it might be a useful basis on which a student could attempt to persuade a sponsor to support them.

Next year the complete new process comes into force, so for 2017 there will be a form of pre-registration to be undertaken at the beginning of the year.

Attached Files
.pdf   IRSE Exam- advice to sponsors of potential exam candidates.pdf (Size: 129.23 KB / Downloads: 21)
PJW
MIRSE/ FIRSE who sponsored candidates for the 2016 exam have just been sent an online survey asking them about their experience and participation within the process and also asking about their views re the intention for 2017 to introduce the full proposed process re the initial conversation with prospective exam candidates and production of an appropriate Study Plan (additional to the "just prior to exam application" support / decline to support that was introduced for the 2016 exam).

The IRSE website states that the details of the relevant dates will be published at the beginning of January 2017; however it sounds like the deadline for the Part 1" will be 1st March and this seems consistent with the exam results for 2016 expected to be available by mid February.
PJW
Doesn't yet seem to be any further information regarding the first stage registration (or is it expression of interest in sitting IRSE Exam).

However I have been sent the final version of a one page "Candidate Readiness Assessment" which will be offered by the IRSE to sponsors of 2017 exam candidates.  This is somewhat "shorter and sweeter" than the one I posted last year, but broadly attempts to undertake the same role.

It is not mandatory that the sponsor completes any "Candidate Readiness Assessment"; the only thing which gets submitted to the IRSE is the candidate's application form with the sponsor's agreement signature.

However it does seem a good idea to me that the basis of one's decision is recorded in some way or other:
a) so the sponsor could demonstrate that they had carefully considered (if the candidate subsequently fails...)
b) so that the sponsor has something that supports their decision if they decide to decline to support a candidate.

Attached Files
.docx   Candidate Readiness Assessment.docx (Size: 26.64 KB / Downloads: 6)
PJW
Doesn't yet seem to be any further information regarding the first stage registration (or is it expression of interest in sitting IRSE Exam).

However I have been sent the final version of a one page "Candidate Readiness Assessment" which will be offered by the IRSE to sponsors of 2017 exam candidates.  This is somewhat "shorter and sweeter" than the one I posted last year, but broadly attempts to undertake the same role.

It is not mandatory that the sponsor completes any "Candidate Readiness Assessment"; the only thing which gets submitted to the IRSE is the candidate's application form with the sponsor's agreement signature.

However it does seem a good idea to me that the basis of one's decision is recorded in some way or other:
a) so the sponsor could demonstrate that they had carefully considered (if the candidate subsequently fails...)
b) so that the sponsor has something that supports their decision if they decide to decline to support a candidate.

Attached Files
.docx   Candidate Readiness Assessment.docx (Size: 26.64 KB / Downloads: 8)
PJW