Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Exams
Any comments from those who sat the exam this year?

Were the papers as expected or any surprises?

Anyone brave enough to comment on how easy or difficult they found various questions?
PJW
when will the 2017 exam papers be issued ?
It's usually not put up on the website until most of the papers have been marked - which could be next year.
Your exam centre facilitaor should have said that you can get the papers from them the day after the exam.
Peter, can anyone ask an Exam Facillitator for a copy of the papers then?
(10-10-2017, 06:17 AM)Peter Wrote: Your exam centre facilitaor should have said that you can get the papers from them the day after the exam.

Thanks
(09-10-2017, 08:18 AM)PJW Wrote: Any comments from those who sat the exam this year?

Were the papers as expected or any surprises?

Anyone brave enough to comment on how easy or difficult they found various questions?

Has anyone got a view on the type of crossing they were looking for in Module 5, Question 5, is this a trick question ?

"A busy suburban road close to a school crosses a double track railway which has a line speed of 140km/h. The road has an automatic level crossing system which uses barriers which cover half the road width to protect the railway"
(10-10-2017, 03:45 PM)Rinaldo Paolozzi Wrote: [quote pid='6776' dateline='1507533508']
Has anyone got a view on the type of crossing they were looking for in Module 5, Question 5, is this a trick question ?

"A busy suburban road close to a school crosses a double track railway which has a line speed of 140km/h. The road has an automatic level crossing system which uses barriers which cover half the road width to protect the railway"

[/quote]

In the UK that looks like an AHB, but close to a school with that linespeed that may not be appropriate.

Does the question ask for upgrade options? (MCB-CCTV or MCB-OD, bridge or closure)
(10-10-2017, 04:12 PM)dorothy.pipet Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 03:45 PM)Rinaldo Paolozzi Wrote: [quote pid='6776' dateline='1507533508']

In the UK that looks like an AHB, but close to a school with that linespeed that may not be appropriate.

Does the question ask for upgrade options? (MCB-CCTV or MCB-OD, bridge or closure)
[/quote]
It asks for additional features that you might provide in the design in order to manage any safety hazards?

What threw me was the way the second part of the question was worded. The first part are all the reason for not having a AHB and hence I said it couldn't be a AHB however, the second part reads like a AHB but because of the first part. I read the second part again and again and convinced myself it was a CCTV just because of the way it was worded i.e. "automatic level crossing system" (in this case this could be the initiation element) and "barriers which cover half the road width" (In this case a CCTV crossing which would be more suitable has 4 barrier machines which cover half the road each. Is this stretching it I wonder ? Sad