Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Q1

.pdf   module 5 2017 Q1.4.pdf (Size: 192.88 KB / Downloads: 24)
.pdf   module 5 2017 Q1.3.pdf (Size: 484.31 KB / Downloads: 19)
.pdf   module 5 2017 Q1.2.pdf (Size: 480.5 KB / Downloads: 21)
.pdf   module 5 2017 Q1.1.pdf (Size: 478.99 KB / Downloads: 25)
Is Hot axle box detectors a part of safety condsiderations?

I thought the question would best sit in this forum rather than train protection, train detection or "general". Just my opinion, I could be wrong.......often I am.

Not sure if i provided enough detail about the mechanisms part to get the marks. Just went with a diagram and basic explanation. The question didn't ask for functionality, archtitecture etc so was thinking about time.

I wasn't sure about how to determine the relative temperatures over which the system will work.
I probably dropped marks on the external factors and info passed to the operator as well. Struggled to find enough study material which went into the relevant detail i needed.

Please review and coment. Would be interested to see others interpretation of the question.
(04-04-2018, 11:43 AM)steak

I notice that nobody seems to have replied to this thread? I have also attempted the question and for the most part we seem to have covered many of the same points. I am wondering whether someone may be able to give us some feedback? 

I have attached my attempt, apologies for the poor drawings. As you mention it doesnt ask for a full architecture but I felt it was the best way for me to identify the relevant parts to answer the question. Wrote:
Is Hot axle box detectors a part of safety condsiderations?

I thought the question would best sit in this forum rather than train protection, train detection or "general". Just my opinion, I could be wrong.......often I am.

Not sure if i provided enough detail about the mechanisms part to get the marks. Just went with a diagram and basic explanation. The question didn't ask for functionality, archtitecture etc so was thinking about time.

I wasn't sure about how to determine the relative temperatures over which the system will work.
I probably dropped marks on the external factors and info passed to the operator as well. Struggled to find enough study material which went into the relevant detail i needed.

Please review and coment. Would be interested to see others interpretation of the question.

Attached Files
.pdf   HABD Question 2017 Q1.pdf (Size: 251.66 KB / Downloads: 16)
Hello Stuart. 

For the first part I’m thinking question parts that are worth 5 marks i will try and answer in bullet point where I can. For me I can see if I’m answering the question directly and efficiently. A paragraph can become lengthy, time consuming and ends up drifting. Saving time here can give you extra time for the diagram where mark says could be picked up easier/ more efficiently.....in theory. 

Operating temp:- I’m not sure about how Exactly this is achieved. 

External factors:- I forgot about Comms issues good point. 
Again for 5 marks bullet point for me although I should have perhaps expanded on my answer as you have done. Could be time depended I suppose. Maybe list external influence classifications ie:-
Climatic conditions = strong sunlight can give false positives
Human error= not acknowledging alarms resulting in complacany issues (alarm is in fact not a false positive)
Maintenance regimes= inadequate training resulting in equipment being damaged. 

Hard to judge if we are anywhere near a pass or require more in depth answering for the marks. Can only really gauge through various feedback from different angles. 
This is the issue I seem to be having with my other threads posted as well.
Thanks much appreciated!

Yes that is one of my weaknesses, formatting my question in the right way considering the marks available. Sometimes I seem to get this right and other times I don't!
I’m finding  that the more  past papers I do the easier the technique/ answering style becomes. If you can nail that hopefully in the exam it’ll be easier to get the answer down on paper saving you time. 
Having the answer to put down now that’s a different matter.........