Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some questions from a Chinese signaling engineer
Hello ,

My name is Tony Yang, located in Beijing, China.

I'm 29 years old, and I have worked in a big siganling MNC siganling department for approximate 6 years.

During these years , I worked as installing/ testing / commissioning engineer about 3 years. then I had some projects to do as a PM, almost axle counter system (a type of blocking equipment). then I did 2 metro project as subsystem director -- Wuhan LRT and Guangzhou Line 3.

Now I am the director of engineering dept. for 2 years.

I want to join IRSE, should I apply Accredited Technician grdae or Fellow and Member grade?

In my opinion, the process is : 1/ apply to be a IRSE member (any grade), 2/ pass the exam, 3/ obtain the licence, is that right?

and is there any branch in China mainland, which study center I could join in?

looking forward to your reply.

Tony Yang
ydtony@vip.163.com
(31-07-2009, 10:25 AM)ydtony Wrote: Hello ,

I'm 29 years old, and I have worked in a big siganling MNC siganling department for approximate 6 years.

I want to join IRSE, should I apply Accredited Technician grade or Fellow and Member grade?

In my opinion, the process is : 1/ apply to be a IRSE member (any grade), 2/ pass the exam, 3/ obtain the licence, is that right?

Tony Yang
ydtony@vip.163.com

You are basically right about the process though IRSE licencing is a parallel process- you can have an IRSE licence without membership. The licence demonstrates your competency to undertake a particular role in the workplace; it is particularly important when someone from one company is working on a project with others from other companies.

IRSE full membership demonstrates a more general level of competency and experience; it recognises your "standing in the industry". You must have a form of membership to sit the exam, then when you have passed it and have evidence of undertaking the executing the duties inherent in having been appointed to a "position of responsibility" you can apply to be considered for Membership (MIRSE).

Your first step therefore is to give a membership application- I suggest the grade of "Associate Member" would probably be appropriate for you unless you are on any form of on-going training scheme in which case Student applicable. Really I don't see that it matters much.
Officially you will need two people who are already MIRSE to sign your application form- do not worry if this is a problem (I don't know if there are any in the whole of mainline China but I guess there are some in Hong Kong) as there are ways around this difficulty. I have just submitted forms for two people in Istanbul and they seem to be being progressed ok

Similarly I do not believe there is any Study Group locally. Indeed there are few now in the UK- hence the experiment to attempt to use the internet for which distance is no problem.
PJW
(31-07-2009, 12:22 PM)PJW Wrote:
(31-07-2009, 10:25 AM)ydtony Wrote: Hello ,

I want to join IRSE, should I apply Accredited Technician grade or Fellow and Member grade?

Tony Yang
ydtony@vip.163.com

You are nearly right about the process. However IRSE licencing is separate- you can have an IRSE licence without any form of membership. The licence demonstrates your competency to undertake a particular role in the workplace; it is particularly important when someone from one company is working on a project with others from other companies.

IRSE full "Member" demonstrates a more general level of competency and experience; it recognises your "standing in the industry". You must have a form of membership to sit the exam, then when you have passed it and have evidence of undertaking the executing the duties inherent in having been appointed to a "position of responsibility" you can apply to be considered for Membership (MIRSE). You do not need a licence for this but it would be a help to support your application.

So your steps are:
1. Fill up a membership application- I suggest the grade of "Associate member" would probably be appropriate for you unless you are on any form of on-going training scheme in which case "Student" is applicable. Really I don't see that it matters much.
2. You will need to get two people who are already MIRSE to sign your application form. However do not worry if this is a problem (I don't know if there are any MIRSE in the whole of mainline China at all but I think there are some in Hong Kong);there are ways around this difficulty. I have just signed and sent in forms for two Student members who live in Istanbul; I am sure that they will be ok.
3. Study for the exams
4. Sit the exams- pass 4 modules
5. Fill up form for full Member - by then I think you will have achieved enough experience too qualify.

I do not believe there is any Study Group for you locally. Indeed there are now few even in the UK- hence this experiment to attempt to use the internet, for which distance is no problem.
PJW
Thanks for your advise indeed!!
I will follow up above.
I appreciate your help very much.