Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TPWS
Does anybody have any literature or papers on TPWS they would kindly like to share with me?

Many thanks
(29-04-2010, 06:11 PM)Archie Wrote: Does anybody have any literature or papers on TPWS they would kindly like to share with me?

Many thanks

As TPWS is something that has been implemented relatively recently (in railway history terms) and hence there is a fair amount of information accessible on the wonderful internet, including details from the manufacturer Thales. Try a search engine entry for "TPWS". NR also have a TPWS manual, so if you can access NR's standards, have a look at that. The Railway Group Standard also has some useful information.
(29-04-2010, 06:11 PM)Archie Wrote: Does anybody have any literature or papers on TPWS they would kindly like to share with me?

Many thanks

Suggest you look at
this thread and you'll find that I have attached a large file in one of the later posts in that thread which should give a high level understanding of TPWS.

Have a read and let us know whether you are looking for more speciific detail
PJW
Thanks guys for the reply, I have been working away so only just managed to read the replies, but some interesting things there indeed, I am also wondering if you have anything which explains the circuitry for TPWS, and how it works in conjunction with signals, in particular a failure of TPWS.
(05-05-2010, 07:24 AM)Archie Wrote: Thanks guys for the reply, I have been working away so only just managed to read the replies, but some interesting things there indeed, I am also wondering if you have anything which explains the circuitry for TPWS, and how it works in conjunction with signals, in particular a failure of TPWS.

Not very readily. Basically the TPWS is energised with signal at Red and there is a level of proving that has an output relay called the VCR. The signal irear either requireds the VCR up or the forward signal proved off (i.e. no need to stop the train as can't SPAD a signal that isn't at red!).
Does get more complicated where there are OSS to prove as well; also for approach released signals where a train is permitted t approach a signal t red with a failed TPWS, but only if the only reason why the forward signal is held to red is awaiting an approach release condition- it is said to be "ready to clear".

In retrofit the failure of the TPWS is indicated as if the signal red lamp had failed; in newer installations this is not done but a specific indication lamp is provided- steady blue when no fault, flashing blue if fault
PJW
(05-05-2010, 07:24 AM)Archie Wrote: Thanks guys for the reply, I have been working away so only just managed to read the replies, but some interesting things there indeed, I am also wondering if you have anything which explains the circuitry for TPWS, and how it works in conjunction with signals, in particular a failure of TPWS.

Not very readily. Basically the TPWS is energised with signal at Red and there is a level of proving that has an output relay called the VCR. The signal irear either requireds the VCR up or the forward signal proved off (i.e. no need to stop the train as can't SPAD a signal that isn't at red!).
Does get more complicated where there are OSS to prove as well; also for approach released signals where a train is permitted t approach a signal t red with a failed TPWS, but only if the only reason why the forward signal is held to red is awaiting an approach release condition- it is said to be "ready to clear".

In retrofit the failure of the TPWS is indicated as if the signal red lamp had failed; in newer installations this is not done but a specific indication lamp is provided- steady blue when no fault, flashing blue if fault
PJW