Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 Questions in 2010
(08-10-2010, 05:54 AM)losler Wrote: Of course now the paper is scored out of 60 rather than the previous 50 marks available so I assume the examiners will be a little more lenient on scoring

Yes and no. My point above was not against the 3 rather than 2 questions, it was questioning the depth that can be attained in a 20 minute which, as you point out, has fewer marks. (Although the absolute number of marks available in the total paper is not really relevant since it is a certain percentage that will get you the grade!). The more opportunity the examiners give you to demonstrate the knowledge, the better you are likely to do, although there is the counter that you have more chance to write lots of drivel and show that you don't really know about the subject in any depth.

I could argue both ways all day!
(06-10-2010, 12:52 PM)jbrownhill Wrote: So how did everyone find the new format?
I am afraid to say I struggled with it. I thought the questions were quite specific compared to previous papers and, when deciding which questions to answer, I found that I could have written generally about what was being discussed but not enough on the specifics for the available marks.
I also spent far too long on parts that I did know about. I may be doing module 1 again next year, at least I may be better prepared though.

You were pessimistic right after the exam, but I note from your post that you passed (not sure what grade you got). Knowing the outcome, do you have any more thoughts / tips for people taking M1 next year?
(17-01-2011, 06:36 PM)Peter Wrote:
(06-10-2010, 12:52 PM)jbrownhill Wrote: So how did everyone find the new format?
I am afraid to say I struggled with it. I thought the questions were quite specific compared to previous papers and, when deciding which questions to answer, I found that I could have written generally about what was being discussed but not enough on the specifics for the available marks.
I also spent far too long on parts that I did know about. I may be doing module 1 again next year, at least I may be better prepared though.

You were pessimistic right after the exam, but I note from your post that you passed (not sure what grade you got). Knowing the outcome, do you have any more thoughts / tips for people taking M1 next year?

I got a pass and was pleasantly surprised with that!

I have emailed Martin Fenner with a comment for the Exam Review on Thursday. My comment was basically that having 3 questions was worth sticking with and the problem I and maybe others had in the exam was the majority of revision was done answering past papers and getting feedback on them from here (thanks everyone btw).

When it came to the exam, the 1st question I answered was familiar from the Yellow Book and previous question and was the 7 stage risk assessment. I ended up not being able to get everything I wanted down in 20 minutes in the exam and ran over, leaving less time for the others. However, the more examples of 20 mark questions that become available, the less this should be a problem.

I would also like to know if having 2 questions but with an increased choice has ever been considered? Some of the questions in 2010, I would have struggled to get quarter marks for.