Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rail Diploma: Central Queensland University Australia
I believe that I am right in saying that the diploma is regarded as the equivalent of the IRSE Examination, at least as far as modules 2 & 3 are concerned and thus be accepted when you wish to apply for MIRSE. Christine White at the IRSE would I believe be able to confirm but perhaps Jerry knows for sure so hopefully will add info.

See my earlier post under another thread in this section; I have no personal knowledge but yet in your situation I think I'd definitely do it. There may of course be someone lurking here who has been a student on the course IF SO PLEASE SPEAK UP!

PJW.

[i]Hello Peter,
We talked some weeks ago and I
I believe if you achieve the higher pass grades, it can be considered to be part of your application for membership. As with all applications for membership, it is the applicant's task to justify they meet the Institution's requirements for membership. It is not as hard as it sounds and the office will help you.

J.
Le coureur
Jerry1237 Wrote:I believe if you achieve the higher pass grades, it can be considered to be part of your application for membership. As with all applications for membership, it is the applicant's task to justify they meet the Institution's requirements for membership. It is not as hard as it sounds and the office will help you.

J.

Hi Jerry

Successfull completion of the Graduate Diploma in Railway Signalling through Central Queensland University is considered by Council to be an appropriate equivalent qualification for the purposes of membership. There are no exemptions for individual courses in the Diploma, it is all or nothing. Also it is not necessary to achieve a higher than a pass grade.

I have been involved in the Diploma since its beginnings and am happy to answer any questions on what is involved.

Cheers

Les
[quote=PJW]
I believe that I am right in saying that the diploma is regarded as the equivalent of the IRSE Examination, at least as far as modules 2 & 3 are concerned and thus be accepted when you wish to apply for MIRSE. Christine White at the IRSE would I believe be able to confirm but perhaps Jerry knows for sure so hopefully will add info.

See my earlier post under another thread in this section; I have no personal knowledge but yet in your situation I think I'd definitely do it. There may of course be someone lurking here who has been a student on the course IF SO PLEASE SPEAK UP!

PJW.

[i]Hello Peter,
We talked some weeks ago and I
Les Wrote:Hi Marco

I can give you details on the program. It has been running for five years and has been accepted by IRSE Council as an appropriate equivalent qualification for the purposes of membership. There is only one intake per year starting in Feb/March with enrolments by mid December. If you want additional information then let me know. You can find my email address on the IRSE Australasian Section website irse.org.au

Cheers

Les Brearley

Hello Les,

Thank you for your answer. I'll contact you in your e-mail.

Regards,

Marco
Dear Les and Marco,

Can I clarify a few points please. The CQU course is beneficial to the industry. The IRSE certainly do support the course and would encourage students to consider taking the CQU course. However, some of the statements or understanding around the course and membership have become a little clouded.

Les Wrote:Successful completion of the Graduate Diploma in Railway Signalling through Central Queensland University is considered by Council to be an appropriate equivalent qualification for the purposes of membership.
No. A pass will not guarantee the student membership of the IRSE. Grades below distinction are not necessarily satisfactorily showing the requirements to pass the exam carte blanche.

Les Wrote:There are no exemptions for individual courses in the Diploma, it is all or nothing. Also it is not necessary to achieve a higher than a pass grade.
Sorry but that is not true. The lower pass grades may be accepted but it certainly is not assured.

Jerry1237 Wrote:I believe if you achieve the higher pass grades, it can be considered to be part of your application for membership. As with all applications for membership, it is the applicant's task to justify they meet the Institution's requirements for membership.
To re-iterate, as with all applications for membership of the IRSE, the applicant needs to demonstrate that they have the necessary understanding and skills to be accepted. These are partially academic based and partially vocationally based.

To summarise, the CQU course certainly is laudable but will not provide a de facto acceptance into membership of the IRSE. The higher the grade, the more likely an applicant is to satisfy the institution's requirements but the application will need to be supported with relevant vocational experience.

If you have any questions, please PM or email me.

Regards, Jerry
Le coureur