Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2010 Q2 Comparing NX Interface versus Video Based System
The following is representative of my answer for the 2010 exam, which I passed. I have resisted the temptation to add more to the answer, as I wish it to show what formed part of a "pass" in that paper.

This answer goes beyond my personal 400 word in 20 min capability, but it would be true to say that I dwelled on this question a bit too long as I was familiar with it, and felt that there was good marks for me in it, versus the other questions.

Comments gratefully received to help others, but please do not say it was short.

Anyone wishing to revise this question would be well advised to read Peters critique of my revision answer from 2005 here http://www.irseexam.co.uk/showthread.php...32#pid2132 in which he gave me good advice that I ignored during the exam, because I forgot/ was pressured/ am an idiot.*

*Delete as applicable

Comparing NX interface versus video-based system

Question 2
Compare and contrast TWO of the following methods of control that a signaller may use to
operate a railway:
a) Written orders and verbal communication
b) Mechanical lever frames
c) Entrance-Exit type route-setting panels
d) Video display unit (VDU) based systems
In your response discuss the level of safety and degree of functionality that the systems being
compared offer and the ergonomic (human factors) interface to the user. [20 marks]
Describe how the methods of control being compared are adaptable to infrastructure changes or
changes to operating arrangements. [5 marks]

The NX panel is hardware-based depending on the process of pressing buttons and precise order in order to set a route.

NX panel is not a safety device operating at a high safety integrity level, it is however a safety-related devices whose inputs are checked on completion of the route setting process by the safety interlocking.

A VDU system is software-based using a computer or microprocessor to display the state of the railway to the signaller.

A VDU system is also not a safety device. The inputs from the signaller are processed and sent to the interlocking for evaluation in a similar model to an NX system, but not usually in the same way.

An NX panel will have many parallel circuit paths for the switches on its facia. It is normal to tolerate diodes in the switching circuits of the NX panel to reduce the amount of unique wiring required and to prevent potential
(17-08-2011, 09:35 AM)MarkN Wrote: The following is representative of my answer for the 2010 exam, which I passed. I have resisted the temptation to add more to the answer, as I wish it to show what formed part of a "pass" in that paper.

This answer goes beyond my personal 400 word in 20 min capability, but it would be true to say that I dwelled on this question a bit too long as I was familiar with it, and felt that there was good marks for me in it, versus the other questions................................................

Peter, please feel free to delete if you think repeating this is of no benefit.
Mark

Certainly not. I think it is very valuable to have a yardstick to judge what the examiners regard as a suitable answer. It'd be nice to have some real answers published along with their allocated marks, but think this is never going to happen, so this insight does give the best idea we have.

There are lots of short sharp statements that make a point and then answer moves on. Avoids much convoluted explanation and long lengths of continuous prose that can tend to be repetitive. Better to be terse than waffle.

Obviously need to bear in mind that this was in the era of 20 minute questions, so obviously the examiners would be expecting rather more in the current scenario as the time has increased to 150%.
PJW