Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signal Sighting
Hi again all, I was wondering if I could gain some help.

I am currently writing out a 'Task Brief' to be read in conjunction with a SSOW pack.

The nature of works is Signal Sighting as we are getting a visit from the committee, and as I am not familiar with this task what are the types of things that I should be listing within the document.

ie standards, risks, equipment etc.

Any input would be greatly received.
Never done one myself but I think that the biggest risk is distraction.
A large group of individuals of different organisations and backgrounds, so can be like herding cats. People do have the habit of wandering off to check on an element from their own perspective- a committee tends to be a collection of individuals each with their own agenda and the confidence to pursue it.

Ensuring discussions are undertaken in a place of safety is important.

Slips trips and falls as ever should not be ignored.

Protecting a group which will split between someone holding the target and others at increasing distance from it looking through periscopes, taking photos etc is a significant issue. I think that need to create a green zone, at least on the relevant line and then have the issue re how to prevent straying

Similarly the appropriate handling of the target and periscope, particularly if under the wires and ensuring that can't be swept up in the slip stream of a passing train when not in use.

Hope there are some ideas in here that you can develop.

(05-10-2011, 06:54 PM)Archie Wrote: Hi again all, I was wondering if I could gain some help.

I am currently writing out a 'Task Brief' to be read in conjunction with a SSOW pack.

The nature of works is Signal Sighting as we are getting a visit from the committee, and as I am not familiar with this task what are the types of things that I should be listing within the document.

ie standards, risks, equipment etc.

Any input would be greatly received.

PJW
Are you referring to a "task briefing sheet" as required by NR/L3/INI/CP0044 Issue 4? If so, all the information should be taken from the work package plan.

Rememeber, TBS only deal with site safety (SSoW) and do not describe the work to be completed. It is effectively a glorified risk assessment.

I would also add, if you are not familiar with CP0044 then I would not write the task brief unless being mentored by a sutiable experienced individual. Often the SSoW is not given enough attention and the most dangerous thing on the railway is people!

That all said, risks depend on the hazards. The presumption is the work is lineside but is traffic running, are some lines blocked? Are there hand-signallers, COSS etc? Who is leading the work? Is testing going on and the SSC just validating positioning of lineside equipment?

If you like, PM me or just reply to this forum and I will assist where I can. CP0044 is my day job (along with many many other tasks).

Jerry
Le coureur