Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-stop headway- skeleton answer
I produced this:
a) to serve as an introduction to undertaking such calculations so that the relevant numbers could be "plugged into" the outline answer so that it could be undertaken as an in-class exercise
b) to give an idea of the level of detail and explanation that you should aim to achieve.

Note that the wording may also need amendment, addition, deletion depending of course on the precise wording of the question paper and the details of the layout and associated notes.

Attached Files
.doc   Calculations for Braking and Headway.doc (Size: 71.5 KB / Downloads: 148)
PJW
PJW,

Only minor alteration is defining where where 3600 is derived from (i.e. 60s x 60m). It may be worth adding notes at the end to explain 10s sighting is not in line with the NwR minimum but it adds pessimism and is more realistic that the minimum quoted distance. Also, overlaps are not all 180m but the figure is used in the real world but the calculation is theoretical and the internal pessimism plus further added pessemisms (i.e. increase headway distance) prove the concept only. The implementation may not be possible despite the theory!
Le coureur