Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Design life Cycle
There have been a number of questions in Mod 7 and some in Mod 1 about the design lifecycle. from concept to decommission and disposal. What I would like to now is where I can read up on the cycle particulaly the middle bit ensuring the design is effeciently maintained and modifying any elements due to improvments etc.
Depends exactly on what you want.

Start with the "Yellow Book" (see other posts on subject, downloadable; issue 4 deals now with maintenance), perhaps try to get hold of NR's GRIP = Guide to Railway Investment Projects (can't unfortunately post here) but that tends really to stop once system is in service.

Worth Googling for "Asset Management", "Reliability Centred Maintenance" etc; you won't find much strictly railway related but the concepts are similar in various industries (particularly those that have large complex and long lasting kit- e.g. power generation & distribution).

Of course don't just think about hardware; software may not be visible and it doesn't rust but that doesn't stop it requiring maintenance. A good book (but you won't have the time to devote to it prior to exam this year is Nancy Leveson: Software System Safety and Computers ISBN 0-201-11972-2).

Also have a read through past technical papers, Aspect conference papers etc. See the IRSE Exam Reading List for details and indeed I think some are on the Mod 1 Study Pack CD ROM.
I have read the relevant parts of the the Yellow Book but that deals with the matter of safety in the life cycle.

I am aware of mtce practices and so on as well.

I can perhaps further define my question now to: what aspects should be considered when designing the system to ensure the system can be maintained effeciently over it's design life?

I have also looked at the RAMS PPP and took in a few things and made a list of my own it includes;

Quality assurance standards for the equipment and services

Availability of parts. - more than one supplier and ensuring they are interchangeable

Consideration to the physical access of equipment especially in tunnels, on bridges, multiple line areas.

The ability to lock out bi directional working or lines by Mtce staff. the ability to introduce SLW for MTCE or renewals.

The skill sets of staff require to maintain equipment

The integrity Vs Reliability matrix.

system redundancy

Demoded working features.

Any difficult mtce specs that may be required.

Any special test equipment or procedures that may be required.

the ease of renewing components.

Interfacing with other departments

The strength, extended life verses intial cost,

Protection against the environment.

availability of 3rd line support.

Can you suggest some other areas ineed to consider or readings on this subject?
KenD Wrote:Can you suggest some other areas i need to consider or readings on this subject?
I am hoping others might add some ideas but to start off.....

I am assuming that you have looked at the latest IRSE Reading List and the module 1 Study Pack for sources.

In addition the Aspect 99 Conference had a range of papers that I think you might find worth reading;
Signalling Assets Whole Life Modelling: Hamlyn / Webb
Modern Approach to Infrastructure Maintenance: Boddy
Long term support & maintenance of computer based railway control systems: Errington
Optimisation of Engineering Decision Making based on Cost / Risk Evaluation: Pilling

Also a recent book published by University of Birmingham- Managing Railway Operations & Maintenance: Best Practices from KCRC
ISBN 9 780952 999720

A book on the theory of reliability but actually giving a good overview re practical application and how to address at the concept / design stage is "Reliability, Maintainability and Risk- practical methods for engineers" by David J Smith. I have copy of issue 5 c2000 ISBN 0 7506 3752 8

Another one is "Reliability Centred Maintenance" John Moubray ISBN 0 8311 3144 2; this is perhaps less upfront design related and more specific re the whole maintenance phase as you might expect from the title.

You may care also to look on the internet more generally than railway signalling; e.g. http://www.reliabilityweb.com/

Certainly you need to think about:
graceful degradation,
remote condition monitoring,
self-diagnostics of system- leading technician step by step (the more reliable the system the more unknown it is to the support staff when it does fail)
how to update a system (e.g. an interlocking to a modified track layout) whilst minimising its downtime,
portability of software code onto a new updated hardware platform,
[and slightly off your specific subject, keeping alive by skill transference between generations of staff]
PJW
I've been meaning to post the attached for some while. It is an attempted answer but what I can't find to what particular question! Not even sure that it was amod 7, but I cann't find it in recent year's mod 1 or mod 5 either.

Still I do think it was a reasonable answer to the question; in fact you should be able to reverse engineer the question from it!
Hence thought worth posting even though it is not an answer to Ken's question since it is quite related and some of the material may be useful

Good luck to all doing the exams this year; don't forget to use the Forum once back on line again to give your views on the exam in general and particular questions.

regards,
PJW

Attached Files
.doc   fundamental approaches that can be taken to maintenance.doc (Size: 40.5 KB / Downloads: 164)
.doc   Define what is meant by testing in the context of a Signalling.doc (Size: 59.5 KB / Downloads: 156)