Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mod 2 feedback
Dear members,

First I was surprised to see the question paper. Panicked. Everything was out of control after that. Frankly to say, not able to concentrate on the operating requirements. Couldn't able to apply signalling knowledge while placing the signals.

After the exam, when i thought about it, I have few opinions.

1. if I could have made my mind calm, I could have done it better.
2. I should not have anticipated questions like the previous years. As a Designer, should have applied my knowledge whatsoever the kind of layout & requirements maybe.

Though disappointed, I will take this as an opportunity to improve myself.

Thank you,
savitha
Thank you for being open, honest and forthcoming and sharing your experience. I hope others will follow your example, for this module and also others.

I can understand that; I have not yet seen the layout but just from the actual words of the accompanying paper I can see it initially looks quite a bit different.

It obviously is disappointing, particularly when on quiet reflection you can see that you could actually have done better than you did if you had in fact not panicked. In an exam though that is all too easy and I absolutely guarantee that you will not be alone . The module 2 pass rate that has been the highest of all the modules for some years now looks set to fall significantly I guess........let's hope some others reverse their recent decline in compensation.

I am sure that I might have felt differently is actually in the exam myself, but I do personally support the changed question.
Yes it had become far too predictable and hadn't been changed enough from year to year. Also it has become clear to me, when attempting to assist those preparing for the exam, that many do not really understand the subject of headway and the issue of the selection of a suitable type of signalling.

I am convinced that for some years, quite a lot of people have been getting through the exam when perhaps they should not have been and this year's question may indeed be far better at "separating the sheep from the goats". Tough as that may be for those this year compared to last, actually it was a "fair" thing to do because actually the change is only in the way that the question was asked rather than fundamentally changing what was asked- it perhaps might best be viewed as attempting to block an existing loophole.

However the unfortunate consequent may well have been that some of those that actually could well have answered the question adequately might have been so shocked that their reasonable expectation (having looked at and practiced all the Past Papers included on the Study DVD) that they then "lost the plot" and were unable to perform anything like as well as they should otherwise have done.

I congratulate you for recognising this and so being resigned to your fate without blaming anyone but yourself and taking the disappointment stoically. You never know, you might have done better than you feared and actually passed; these things always seem worse than they really are. If you do find you have failed, at least you'll know why which is certainly not as bad as not understanding which leaves you struggling to know what to different the next year.

Whatever, there is no value in worrying about it now; what is done is done and as you say there is always next year. Give it some time and rest from such activities for a bit, then have another go at the paper when it is available (the IRSE normally post on their website in January- in fact they did so last year without me needing to constantly remind them!) so perhaps early in 2013.

A wider lesson there- as a signal engineer, you should never assume....

(07-10-2012, 05:32 PM)savitha kandasamy Wrote: Dear members,

First I was surprised to see the question paper. Panicked. Everything was out of control after that. Frankly to say, not able to concentrate on the operating requirements. Couldn't able to apply signalling knowledge while placing the signals.

After the exam, when i thought about it, I have few opinions.

1. if I could have made my mind calm, I could have done it better.
2. I should not have anticipated questions like the previous years. As a Designer, should have applied my knowledge whatsoever the kind of layout & requirements maybe.

Though disappointed, I will take this as an opportunity to improve myself.

Thank you,
savitha
PJW
I'm interested to know what answer people got for the best headway time for a train to go up the branch and back again. I'm not sure if I'm correct, but I got about 15.5 minutes.