Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SPAD
Hi,

Is it required to consider Spad for ground position light signals?

Thanks & regards.
(11-03-2014, 03:04 PM)jenni.joseph9 Wrote: Hi,

Is it required to consider Spad for ground position light signals?

Thanks & regards.

Are you asking whether the overrun risk should be considered for GPLs or whether SAPDs are investigated for overruns at GPLs?
As per ssi discussion paper, when a spad is detected at a signal, all d protecting routes in that area will be placed to danger. Does the spad at a GPL signal should also be considered and should replace protecting signals?

Good question; off the top of my head I don't actually know the answer but I will find out.
However when I was looking at the data relating to SPADs some 10 years ago it was clear that some of the most significant SPADs were actually those at GPLs (primarily because the main running signals protecting junctions were TPWS fitted whereas the GPLs were not). In and around major stations there were quite a few cases where drivers made mistakes when executing moves shunting to / from the sidings, turning back services and shunting between platforms etc- typically these were relatively infrequently made moves and hence unfamiliar but utilised at times of service disruption. Whereas the GPL move is slow, the train on the signalled route with which it might collide could be moving much faster.

Hence whereas I don't know the answer for sure, I think that there is quite a strong argument for including.

(11-03-2014, 04:49 PM)jenni.joseph9 Wrote: As per ssi discussion paper, when a spad is detected at a signal, all d protecting routes/signals in that area will be placed to danger. Does the spad at a GPL signal should also be considered and should replace protecting signals?

PJW
We need to be clear what method you are using.
According to NR/L2/SIG/30009/E420 NR want all the SPAD detection and management to be done in the IECC/MCS data rather than the interlocking. I've not got experience of data to this standard, and the SPAD management is very different. The most recent version of the DIS paper reflects this standard, although I'm not aware of any project that has managed to implement it yet.

In the previous method where all the SPAD-related data is in the SSI (or Smartlock/Westlock), SPADs from GPLs are included in the SPAD detection. I therefore assume they still are in the new method as the SPAD detection has not changed so much.