Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rookie in uk
Hi everyone. I am from 10 months in Uk working in OLE area basically as a linesman and operator of RRV but it isn't just my job. I have 5 years experience in maintaining signalling in Bulgaria and I have all the licenses but for there. So I would like very much to start doing the job that I used to love a year ago but I'm so rookie in that Irse member , license and exam. Can somebody explain me with simple words what is the order to become a part of this rail signalling family, and what I have to do for a start.
O and I forget , NARIC says that my diploma is valid in UK - I'm master engineer communications and signalling.
Thanks in advance.
Rayko,
Do you already hold IRSE licences and which ones - that will give us an idea of your experience. IRSE licencing is completely separate from the membership and Exam.

For IRSE membership read the IRSE's website: http://www.irse.org/membership/default.aspx
This should give you and idea of what grade you could apply for now, do contact the IRSE if that's not sufficiently helpful.

Probably you'll start with "Affiliate" If you want to become a "Member" the normal route is to take the exam. Read http://www.irse.org/membership/public/irseexam.aspx for more information. As you're not already a IRSE member (any grade) the earliest you could take the exam is October 2017 so you have plenty of time to find out more.
No I don't have a IRSE license. I have probably analog of it which is valid only fo Bulgaria. So that's my point what I have to do to take IRSe license and start working in signalling maintenance or installing.
(09-03-2016, 05:09 PM)Rayko Wrote: No I don't have a IRSE license. I have probably analog of it which is valid only fo Bulgaria. So that's my point what I have to do to take IRSe license and start working in signalling maintenance or installing.

You can't get an IRSE licence without already working in the area as far as I know.
You start working under a competent mentor, gather experience andĀ evidence then your competence is assessed (probably includes being observed doing certain tasks).
Your Bulgarian experience means you'd be ready for that faster but I don't know of any scheme to accredit other systems's licences. I'm no expert so worth asking the IRSE.
Rayko

If you have experience, apply for roles. There is a website called RailwayPeople for example, and I think the IRSE website has links to jobs as well. Update your CV and apply for some. There are plenty of roles about. Whereabouts are you based?

It is likely you will have to apply for more junior roles, get some UK experience and get accredited (an IRSE License for example). Keep applying. There are lots of roles out there. If you get stuck, feel free to PM me.

Cheers and good luck.
Le coureur