Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for somone who isn't on the path yet
Hi,

This isn't an IRSE exam related question, but I am looking for some help if anyone is willing.

I recently left a non technical job at London Underground at age 37 to do a science and engineering course in college, with a view to doing an electrical engineering degree next Sept. So far I'm loving getting back in to the maths and physics, but I'd like to get an idea of what engineers from different disciplines (with an electrical/electronic bent) do on a daily/weekly/yearly basis.

With this in mind, I'm looking to talk (phone or in person) with anyone who is passionate about their work and willing to share. As brief or involved as you like (within reason Tongue ), and I'd be happy to visit your place of work if you feel that's an option.

I'm not looking for an apprenticeship or to learn anything technical as such (though my eyes and ears are always open), just to get an idea of what it is you do.
I'm happy to make tea/coffee/buy you a beer or 5 in exchange.

I'm based in London, and have friends and family in Derby and Bristol so these are the areas I'm looking at.

If you think this is something you'd like to do or know someone who might, I'd love to hear from you.

Regards,

Stephen

weavermech@gmail.com
(28-09-2016, 06:18 PM)Weavermech Wrote: Hi,

This isn't an IRSE exam related question, but I am looking for some help if anyone is willing.

I recently left a non technical job at London Underground at age 37 to do a science and engineering course in college, with a view to doing an electrical engineering degree next Sept. So far I'm loving getting back in to the maths and physics, but I'd like to get an idea of what engineers from different disciplines (with an electrical/electronic bent) do on a daily/weekly/yearly basis.

With this in mind, I'm looking to talk (phone or in person) with anyone who is passionate about their work and willing to share. As brief or involved as you like (within reason  Tongue ), and I'd be happy to visit your place of work if you feel that's an option.

I'm not looking for an apprenticeship or to learn anything technical as such (though my eyes and ears are always open), just to get an idea of what it is you do.

I'm based in London, and have friends and family in Derby and Bristol so these are the areas I'm looking at.

If you think this is something you'd like to do or know someone who might, I'd love to hear from you.
Regards,

Stephen

weavermech@gmail.com

If you want to talk to a signal engineer then I'd be prepared to do so, but no room in the diary until November.

I work in Chippenham but live in Reading; not quite Bristol or London but not too far from those places.  Occasionally go to London. Don't generally get to Derby much these days although there are plenty of people there who may be willing.
PJW
(28-09-2016, 06:18 PM)Weavermech Wrote: Hi,

With this in mind, I'm looking to talk (phone or in person) with anyone who is passionate about their work and willing to share. As brief or involved as you like (within reason  Tongue ), and I'd be happy to visit your place of work if you feel that's an option.

Regards,

Stephen

weavermech@gmail.com

If you want to talk to a signal engineer then I'd be prepared to do so, but no room in the diary until November.

I work in Chippenham but live in Reading; not quite Bristol or London but not too far from those places.  Occasionally go to London. Don't generally get to Derby much these days although there are plenty of people there who may be willing.
PJW
That would be great, I'd definitely be interested in hearing what you do. I occasionally head out to Bristol and Newbury to see friends and don't mind detouring, and failing that a dedicated trip out isn't the end of the world, got plenty of studying I can do on the train.

If you want to email or PM me we can organise a plan?

S