Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Train Reported Positions
Hi there,

I'm going through the 2018 Mod 3 past paper Q2, it mentions 'Train Reported Positions'. Is this to do with CBTC/ETCS/Moving Block applications for train detection?

I work on NR Mainline so I am familiar with Track circuits and Axle counters. But have not come across Train Reported Positions on the day job.  Has anyone got any recommendations for materials to read that might be able to help me out on this.

Thanks

Elliott
(07-07-2019, 10:36 AM)Elliott Jordan Wrote: Hi there,

I'm going through the 2018 Mod 3 past paper Q2, it mentions 'Train Reported Positions'. Is this to do with CBTC/ETCS/Moving Block applications for train detection?

I work on NR Mainline so I am familiar with Track circuits and Axle counters. But have not come across Train Reported Positions on the day job.  Has anyone got any recommendations for materials to read that might be able to help me out on this.

Thanks

Elliott

For ETCS, the ERA Website has all of the specification documents. There are three sets as there are three different configurations that are "current". Set of specifications 3 being the latest but the others are still valid for things already being implemented. There are many docs within the specs, but probably most useful from your perspective is Subset 26 has a section on the principles of the system and is a good place to start to understand how ETCS uses the reported position of the train for certain functions.

Peter
(07-07-2019, 11:51 AM)Peter Wrote:
(07-07-2019, 10:36 AM)Elliott Jordan Wrote: Hi there,

Thanks

Elliott

For ETCS, the ERA Website has all of the specification documents. There are three sets as there are three different configurations that are "current". Set of specifications 3 being the latest but the others are still valid for things already being implemented. There are many docs within the specs, but probably most useful from your perspective is Subset 26 has a section on the principles of the system and is a good place to start to understand how ETCS uses the reported position of the train for certain functions.

Peter

Thanks very much for the link for the resource.
Peter is right that ETCS (and other transmission based systems) allows for the train to report its location to the trackside signalling system. Train reports are normally referenced to some fixed asset (such as a balise group in ETCS) and often include direction, offset distance from reference, speed and the potential error in the position report.
For ETCS Level 3 there may be no train detection (track circuits or axle counters) and hence the signalling will rely on reports from the trains on where they are (or were when they sent the report) and whether the train is intact (has integrity).