Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graph Paper and A3 answer paper blanks
At Colin White's interesting talk last week to those contemplating undertaking the Metro option for Module 2, he suggested that demonstrating headway is achieved is better performed graphically rather than by calculations. This part of the paper is more complicated for Metro than for Mainline and he certainly convinced me, for that environment at least, he is right.

The question was then asked whether graph paper is always available from invigilators; although there was a strong belief this is the case, no-one was able to say for sure nor find reference to it within the Exam Regulations etc. I hope someone knows for sure and whether it is A4 or A3, marked in mm or just in cm; some felt that the blank A3 sheets with the side marking may have to be utilised.........

Hoping someone can give us the definitive answer!
PJW
(22-02-2010, 07:44 PM)PJW Wrote: At Colin White's interesting talk last week to those contemplating undertaking the Metro option for Module 2, he suggested that demonstrating headway is achieved is better performed graphically rather than by calculations. This part of the paper is more complicated for Metr than for Mainline and he certainly convinced me, for that environment at least, he is right.

The question was then asked whether graph paper is always available from invigilators; although there was a strong belief this is the case, no-one was able to say for sure nor find reference to it within the Exam Regulations etc. I hope someone knows for sure and whether it is A4 or A3, marked in mm or just in cm; some felt that the blank A3 sheets with the side marking may have to be utilised.........

Hoping someone can give us the definitive answer!

Whether or not it is mentioned in the regulations, it is supplied by the office in the invigilators pack. As I have never had a metro candidate at my centre in five years, I have quite a pile of it spare if anyone needs any. It is A3. Cannot recall if it is 1mm or 2mm squares, but it is certainly of that order.
There are two types of A3 paper provided for use (in addition to the A4 answer paper an example of which was included in this thread ); see the attached file which conatains both types.

There is also 2mm square graph paper.

I hope this answers the query.
For the record, I invigilate at the London exam centre.

Attached Files
.pdf   Exam graph paper.pdf (Size: 28 KB / Downloads: 74)
I spoke to the exam office people when I was at the IRSE last week. Graph paper is one of the things on their checklist for papers / materials to be sent out to each exam centre.
(22-02-2010, 10:52 PM)nich7503 Wrote: There are two types of paper provided. The first is as attached. The second is 2mm square graph paper. I hope this answers the query.

A question that came up at Signet Derby was whether this blank is also the one which is nowadays supplied for candidates to produce their blank Control Tables or whether it is additional. The version of the "blank" that I have (from quite a few years ago now) is basically a border that is marked with short cross lines at around 5mm intervals all around the perimeter, but no actual lines across the page.

Hoping that one of our invigilators can confirm (and ideally post such a blank).
PJW
(18-05-2010, 09:01 PM)PJW Wrote:
(22-02-2010, 10:52 PM)nich7503 Wrote: There are two types of paper provided. The first is as attached. The second is 2mm square graph paper. I hope this answers the query.

A question that came up at Signet Derby was whether this blank is also the one which is nowadays supplied for candidates to produce their blank Control Tables or whether it is additional. The version of the "blank" that I have (from quite a few years ago now) is basically a border that is marked with short cross lines at around 5mm intervals all around the perimeter, but no actual lines across the page.

Hoping that one of our invigilators can confirm (and ideally post such a blank).

I know the blank that you are speaking about. I'll check in the pile of paper from last year's exam pack and confirm that this is still included.
(18-05-2010, 10:30 PM)Peter Wrote:
(18-05-2010, 09:01 PM)PJW Wrote: The version of the "blank sheet" that can be used for Control Tables which I have (from quite a few years ago now) is .......

I know the blank that you are speaking about. I'll check in the pile of paper from last year's exam pack and confirm that this is still included.

Did you manage to locate; this is what I have.

Note that this can also be a very good sheet to use in ANY MODULE as it gives you space for a large drawing or the good basis on which to draw a table for giving a structure to your answer, particularly in comparing options etc

With the advent of the IRSE format Control Tables, many will chose to use these blanks for doing their Control Tables- these are downloadable from the IRSE's website, Exam page, bottom right.
http://www.irse.org/membership/public/irseexam.aspx

Attached Files
.pdf   A3 blank Control Table Paper.pdf (Size: 177.91 KB / Downloads: 49)
PJW
(03-06-2010, 07:31 PM)PJW Wrote:
(18-05-2010, 10:30 PM)Peter Wrote:
(18-05-2010, 09:01 PM)PJW Wrote: The version of the "blank sheet" that can be used for Control Tables which I have (from quite a few years ago now) is .......

Did you manage to locate; this is what I have.

That is the stuff.
Hi Peter and PJW

I am worried about the answer sheet that mentions "PLEASE USE ONLY BLACK INK"

Could you please kindly suggest what the black ink means?

Am I allowed to use pencils?

Some said that black ink means pens. Any idea about it?

Thanks,
Arnut
Officially it means pens, however, I gather it is normal to use pencil on the Mod2 layout. The key thing is that the answers will be photocopied so
1) don't use colour in your answers - it'll be a B+W copy
2) make sure any line/mark is dark/thick enough to copy well

PJW can confirm.