Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A planned failure but gain exam experience ?
As some will have guessed from previous messages from myself, I am REALLY struggling with the exam technique aspect. I am way off getting the answer from brain to paper via pen and ruler in the time allowed, for any question, any paper.

My target modules are M1 (obviously) and M4 M6 M7.

My ideas go something like this.

I've put off M4 and M6 until 2011 when study pack material is expected, and myself will be trying to organise a study group, with at least one work colleague interested too. Both comms modules I am confident of technical knowledge and I'd aim not just to pass, to to exceed. M1, I am also confident of subject knowledge, so again don't want to waste an exam attempt where because of abysmal technique get a minimum pass when I know I could do much better.

Thats leaves M7. My current thoughts are to sit M7 this year (I've not registered, know the deadline approacheth) simply to get one real exam experience under real not mock conditions, but expect write it off as an almost certain failure.

A question then, if one fails any Module, is there an any accumulation of failure that reaches a limit, or can you re-sit several times. Obviously I'm not planning for multiple failures, just this one!

Would such an appraoch be taken dimly by the examiners ?

--
Nick
There is no limit on the number of times that you can take a module (just like I am sure there was not a limit on the number of times you could do the exam before it was modularised). The only previous limit was the fact that you had to get four under your belt within 5 years of each other. Now that has gone, there is no issue with that.

You asked about the view of the "examiners". The markers don't know who you are, and those who administer the exam just process whatever comes in.

All that said, the fee structure was changed a couple of years ago from "high cost for first paper in a given year plus small increment for each extra paper" to a flat cost per module to discourage large scale occurrences of "it is only a couple of extra quid to try that one I am a bit dodgy on".

If you think the experience will add value to you, try it.

Peter
(07-06-2010, 07:10 PM)Peter Wrote: There is no limit on the number of times that you can take a module

markers don't know who you are, and those who administer the exam just process whatever comes in.

a flat cost per module to discourage large scale occurrences
of "it is only a couple of extra quid to try that one I am a bit dodgy on".

If you think the experience will add value to you, try it.

Thanks.

Good point about the flat fees. I'd not considered that.

--
Nick