Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safety Critical Hours
Hello,

Could someone point out to me where safety critical hours are mandated for NR employees? I know they stem from the Clapham accident and Lord Hidden's report but the report is a recommendation and not a requirement.

Thanks in advance.
Jerry
Le coureur
Jerry1237 Wrote:Hello,

Could someone point out to me where safety critical hours are mandated for NR employees? I know they stem from the Clapham accident and Lord Hidden's report but the report is a recommendation and not a requirement.

Thanks in advance.
Jerry

Used to be Engineer's Handbook EH C200 but think gone elsewhere now.

I think it was actually put into law via the Railway Safety Critical Work Regulations (not sure title is 100% correct) but I think that this got superceded at the same time that ROTS migrated into ROGS so it MIGHT be in there so that is the first place I'd start looking.

Probably not exactly the actual limits that you want but see:
http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/upload/pdf/293.pdf

PJW
GK/EHC201 Working Time for S&T Testing Staff was the BR response to recommendation 18 in the Hidden report that "BR shall ensure that overtime is monitored do that no individual is working excessive levels of overtime".

Later,
The Railways (Safety Critical Work) Regulations 1994 required

Hours of work
Thanks for the replies. Much of the information on time seems to be in the European Working Time Regulations which requires the employee to voluntarily sign out of them!

Jerry
Le coureur